When you are injured in a New York car crash, here are ten things that you should do:
1. Make sure to call the police. The other driver may ask you to “work it out between us”, but that is always a bad idea, and will certainly hurt your prospects for a settlement with the other driver’s insurance company if the accident was not reported.
2. Report all injuries to the investigating officer. Frequently, new clients come to our White Plains, New York office with a police report which states that “no injuries” were reported by either driver in the car accident. Insurance companies always refer to this in settlement negotiations, so don’t let this happen to you.
3. Go to the hospital immediately and make sure that all of your injuries are noted by the triage nurse at the hospital.
4. If at all possible, get the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses. Once you are taken for medical treatment, this information is very often lost forever and this can be absolutely vital to the success of your case.
5. Document the accident scene, the location of the vehicles, accident debris, the damage to your car, and any visible injuries with photographs. If you don’t have a camera, use your cell phone if you can. This cannot be emphasized enough.
6. Treat immediately for your injuries to avoid insurance company claims that your injuries were not from the New York car accident.
7. Don’t speak with the other driver’s insurance company, and don’t sign any papers or fill out any reports for the other insurance company.
8. Obtain the police report right away and if the other driver hasn’t reported the accident, you or your lawyer must do so right away to preserve your rights.
9. Make sure you report the accident to your own insurance company to ensure that your no-fault coverage, which will pay for your medical treatment and lost wages, is immediately in effect.
10. Contact a New York personal injury lawyer immediately to represent you throughout the process, which is designed with many filing deadlines which must be met to protect your legal rights and insurance coverage.
If you are in a New York car crash, injured in any type of accident, or suffer injuries from a defective product or medical malpractice, contact the personal injury and malpractice lawyers at the White Plains, New York Law Office of Mark A. Siesel for a free consultation with an experienced, knowledgeable lawyer who will fight to maximize compensation for your injuries.